"Jimbo"; was: Yumbo

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Aug 5 18:09:07 UTC 2007

>I thought "Jimbo" derives from "Jim boy."

If anybody knows one way or the other, it ain't me.

But regardless of whether this is true or not, I think the "-m" just
somehow calls for a "-bo".

You'll encounter Jimbo and Tombo and Sambo (which is sometimes a
special case, and possibly was a special case originally).

You won't encounter (at least not very often) Johnbo, Joebo, Billbo
(outside Tolkien), Jerrybo, Dougbo, etc.

Maybe "Jimbo" and "yumbo" have "Jumbo" or "Sambo" or something as a model?

-- Doug Wilson