Sea language comes ashore

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Aug 6 01:56:08 UTC 2007

Ah, but the inculcation and enforcement of the habit - on dry land - is the issue that interests me.  It serves at least two purposes: the first, to familiarize recruits with basic shipboard terminology immediately, the second, to help convince them that they know nothing and that everything in the world must now be done the Navy/Marine/Coast Guard way.

  Apparently it took more than a century and a half for someone to figure that out.  Or did it?

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Sea language comes ashore

It seems to me that mere force of habit would lead to this without any
specific training. At L.A. Water & Power, ex-sailors referred to the,
e.g. "turbine _deck_." We ex-GI's referred to the same location as the
"turbine _bay_." Ex-sailors said "head," Ex-GI's said "latrine," etc.
I recall that we GI's were specifically trained *not* to refer to a
rifle as a "gun." Otherwise, we picked up military jargon by osmosis
and it took several years of civilian life to get out of the habit of
using it, particularly since, in those days, a lot of one's friends
were also ex-GI's, and also out of the habit of "cursing like a
trooper."

One of my brothers, an ex-Navy man, reports the same experience.

-Wilson

On 8/5/07, Laurence Urdang wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Laurence Urdang
> Subject: Re: Sea language comes ashore
>
> One of my objections to O'Brien's novels is their artificial interlarding of nautical talk in otherwise straightforward text and dialogue. As an old Navy hand and, for many years, owner of a 35-foot sloop, I can tell you it is truly artificial. (But you left out "deck" for floor.)
> L. Urdang
>

> Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Jonathan Lighter
> Subject: Sea language comes ashore
>
> An interviewee who served in the SPARs (the women's branch of the U.S. Coast Guard) during WWII recalls on an episode of Fox News Channel's _War Stories_ that when she joined the service in 1942, she was instructed to take the "first ladder, second deck starboard" to her "billet." This sounded to her like gibberish, especially since they were in a building, not on shipboard. But she was informed that all Coast Guard structures were to be described in nautical terms.
>
> So by 1942 the deliberate application of shipboard terminology on dry land had become the norm in all three U.S. naval services - the Coast Guard as well as the Navy and Marine Corps. Walls became "bulkheads," kitchens always "galleys," and so forth. The practice may also have started up the superstition that except for the "bellrope," a ship has no "ropes," only "lines."
>
> An 18th and 19th C. convention was that sailors always talked this way, more or less, but that seems to have been largely an artistic fiction.
>
> I don't know of any reference to this enforced extension of jargon as part of the training routine during 1917-18 or earlier. It would be interesting to know just when it began or expanded. While the occasion may have been implementation of the 1940 draft law, this minor detail in the history of English usage remains obscure, at least to me.
>
> JL

-----
-Sam'l Clemens