Final call for papers: ADS 2008 Chicago

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Aug 7 15:29:29 UTC 2007

Frank,

Is this the prescriptivist's recommended reversal of 'shall' and
'will' when "strong determination" is intended (as your caps might
indicate), or it simply a thumbing of the nose at the
prescriptivists' recommendation for "shall' after first persons? Such
items belong to an "I can't tell what you're up to" category. For
example, "never" is apparently standard in "I never went there" for
"At no time in the past did I got there" but nonstandard for "I
didn't go there." There must be more. Have we classified such goodies
arnold?

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Frank Abate <FABATE at CINCI.RR.COM>
>Subject:      Re: Final call for papers: ADS 2008 Chicago
>
>Allan
>
>I WILL submit an abstract for ADS Chicago, Jan 2008.
>

>Title:
>
>"[The] medium is [the Text] msge: Cell Phones, Youth, Communication"
>

>Details in abstract, in preparation.  Will send ASAP.
>
>Thanks much for the reminder.
>
>I believe I need to renew my ADS membership.
>
>Frank
>

>Frank Abate
>d/b/a  Dictionaries International
>Sharonville, OH  45241  USA