Final call for papers: ADS 2008 Chicago

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Aug 7 16:00:36 UTC 2007

Larry,

"Anymore" might be a candidate, but its perception as a nonstandard
is usually across dialect/sociolect boundaries, while the "never"
standard/nonstandard contrast is very strong within speech
communities.

This is a little like /l/ vocalization in southern speech. It is
stigmatized  by non-Southerners, but southerners themselves
stigmatize only full /l/ deletion within their own speech
communities. Something like /hEwp/ (where /w/ is a glide replacing
the /l/) for "help" is not locally stigmatized in places like
Louisville, but /hEp/ very strongly is. I suspect this is lexical
with "help," however.

Now that I think about it, this local/nonlocal judgment distinction
surfaces in 'pin-pen' conflation as well. Northerners make fun of it
in general, but plain old /pIn/ for "pen" will not get you chuckled
at as a hillbilly in Louisville, but if you tense the vowel and give
it a little centering offglide (as in the Southern Shift), you are
from the boondocks and will be regarded as sich (ooops, I mean such).

dInIs

preston at msu.edu