Link to NY City Council "Bitch & Ho" Resolution

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Aug 7 17:20:49 UTC 2007

        This, and Jon's earlier question about when "bitch" became
subject to taboo avoidance, made me wonder when pejorative uses of the
word started to occur in reported U.S. cases.  Pretty much from the
beginning, it would appear.

        The earliest case I saw was from 1796, reporting events of 1794:
"The following words charged, to wit; on September 22, 1794, "Go and
play the whore again." November 20, 1794, "Do not mind her, she is
drunk, the drunken bitch.""  The alleged drunken bitch/whore and her
husband sued for slander; the court found for the plaintiff and awarded
damages of six cents.  Phillips v. French, 2 Del. Cas.. 52 (Del. Ct.
Com. Pl. 1796).

        "Bitch" is used in U.S. law reports on Westlaw 24 times before
1850.  Of these, 12 are for "son of a bitch" (including variations),
nine are pejorative terms for women, two refer to female dogs, and one
is a typo for "birch."  Several cases suggest that "bitch" is considered
synonymous with "whore."

        Oddly enough, I just reran my search and now "bitch" is only
reported 8 times before 1850.  However, I did look at the 24 cases, so
they were there.  I don't know what is going on with Westlaw.

John Baker