Final call for papers: ADS 2008 Chicago

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 7 23:19:40 UTC 2007

At 4:11 PM -0400 8/7/07, Beverly Flanigan wrote:
>Jenny Cheshire had an article some years ago on this same punctual use of
>"never" by kids in Reading, I believe (not at hand now).

One version of her work is in her paper in the collection _Negation
in the History of English_, a 1998 Mouton compilation edited by
Ingrid Tieken-Boon van Ostade, Gunnel Tottie, and Wim van der Wurff.
(I reviewed the volume, whence my memory of the piece.)  Cheshire's
contribution to the volume, the one sociolinguistic paper it
contains, is called "English negation from an interactional
perspective", and does indeed, as Beverly mentions, consider the
discourse conditions on the use of "never" as a negator for single
past events in the speech of Reading teens.

LH