The distinguished German move actor ...

Chris F Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Tue Aug 7 23:26:23 UTC 2007

Joel S. Berson wrote:
> In a review of a  DVD of five of Brigitte
> Bardot's lesser-known movies (NYTimes, today, New
> England Final, page B3), the reviewer gives the
> name of one of her costars as "Curd Jürgens".
>
> I didn't know -- apparently this *is* one of
> three spellings of his first name (not common in
> English-language versions).  But my respect for him as an actor has soured.
>
> Joel

The Wikipedia has "He was usually billed in English-speaking films as
*Curt Jurgens*," which I didn't know. The usual German spelling appears
to be his real name, too, leaving out half a dozen of middle names.

I'm not sure what you mean by  "three spellings of his first name" -- is
this by name or by reference, i.e., are you referring to spellings of
the first name of the actor in question, or to spellings of the name
"Curd"? If the latter, in German, "Kurt" would be commonest, with "Curt"
second, but both "Curd" and "Kurd" exist, which brings us to four.
Pronunciation is identical anyway in most dialects (see Auslautverhärtung).

Chris