Economist Historical Archive 1843-2000

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Wed Aug 8 10:13:49 UTC 2007

Thanks. Is that part of their "19th Century U.K. Periodicals
...[Available Fall
2007]"? If my trial subscription ends before then, perhaps someone will search
for "lies and statistics." Walter Bagehot, an editor at the Economist,
has been
credited by several writers since 1894 (Price Collier, Mr Picket-Pin and His
Friends p.150; also in 1909, 1912, 1915, 1919, 1947, etc.) with the saying
about three kinds of lies. Of course, it may not be Bagehot, nor in the
Economist, but it seems worth liooking.

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson