Link to NY City Council "Bitch & Ho" Resolution

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 8 12:55:50 UTC 2007

And let's face it, dogs display inappropriate interests and perform inappropriate bodily functions in public.

  JL

"Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Douglas G. Wilson"
Subject: Re: Link to NY City Council "Bitch & Ho" Resolution

> Just wondering: What is it about a female dog that has made the
> word "bitch" so offensive? I sense a great injustice here. Dogs
> (both male and female), albeit with some exceptions, are wonderful animals.

I think it's originally offensive because it means "low" and not
because it means "evil". To be likened to a dog or a bitch is
basically to be disrespected ... I think.

Cf. "work like a dog" (although dogs don't work hard usually), "they
treat me like a dog" (doesn't mean they pet me and take me to the
vet), "died like dogs", etc. The idea is that the dog is low-class or
ignoble (compared to the humans) ... I think.

-- Doug Wilson

Got a little couch potato?