Who'll Get The Last Ho Ho Ho?

Frank Abate FABATE at CINCI.RR.COM
Wed Aug 8 13:06:57 UTC 2007

Doug Harris's post re Don Imus is cc'd below.

My point, given the "tag" Doug gives Imus, lumping him with Howard Stern:

If you were a regular Imus listener (I was), and also caught any of Stern's
shows, I think you'd agree that the two are VERY different.  Imus tries to
be funny and is sometimes crude, even insulting.  Stern, OTOH, is into
sexual provocation and titillation.  Stern can be funny but is always crude.

"Imus in the Morning" featured comedy/parody that skewered everyone.  It
also included news, musical guests, political commentary, author interviews,
and some celebs.  It was an excellent show.

Imus spoke foolish and insulting words on the air in April.  He should have
known better.  At the time he apologized, both on his show and privately to
the Rutgers team and their parents, in New Jersey.

Imus handled himself decently at the time.  He was fired because the swirl
of controversy seemed to call for it.  Something had to be done.

I liked Imus's show and hope he does return.  I shun Stern's show.

Frank Abate
*****************************

New York Magazine (http://nymag.com/news/features/35539/) presently has a
feature suggesting that Don Imus may be approaching an on-air comeback of
one sort or another.
Perhaps in the spirit of his approach to mislabeling others, such a show
should be tagged _Welcome Back Sodder_.
The saddest part of the story is that a driving force behind the effort to
'settle' with the Vice-King of Crude (a title shared with Howard S.) is
Lester Moonves, who undoubtedly had to have explained to him why  what Don
said was way worse than not nice. As if L.M. could care: ALL he cares about
is the money snotty-mouth Don can generate for him.
Is there _anything_ left that's not being driven solely by the $$ signs??