Who'll Get The Last Ho Ho Ho?

Doug Harris cats22 at FRONTIERNET.NET
Wed Aug 8 14:49:23 UTC 2007

Frank, I don't disagree with your opinion that Imus and Stern are different
birds, albeit, by design, of similarly offensive orientations.
Stern _needs_ the crudeness, as that is what he _is_.
Imus, as you noted, has much more going for him as a broadcaster and, when
he wants to be, a representative of the thinking portion of society. But
his crude remarks (or 'snotty-mouth' aspect, as I labeled it earlier) seems
worse than inconsistent with his intelligent interviews and his laudable
activities on behalf of children's and other charities.
I, like you, shun the former.
Unlike you, it seems, I found it hard to sit still for the crude, insulting
Imus in order to take pleasure from his interviews.
Oh, and as for why he was fired: The 'swirl of controversy' appeared likely
to cost Moonves et al _huge_ amounts of money over a long term. They wanted
to stem that loss.
WHAT he said, as I noted earlier, was of _far_ less concern to the
white-skinned suit-wearers, most of whom probably didn't understand the
racial/ social implications, anyway! (They _do_ live, I'm sure you realize,
in a parallel universe. The nearest most such suits ever come to 'ordinary'
people (not to mention nappy headed anythings) is on their few steps across
the pavement from limo to glass-and-steel-encased ivory tower.
IMHO, of course.
(the other) doug
---------
Doug Harris's post re Don Imus is cc'd below.

My point, given the "tag" Doug gives Imus, lumping him with Howard Stern:

If you were a regular Imus listener (I was), and also caught any of Stern's
shows, I think you'd agree that the two are VERY different.  Imus tries to
be funny and is sometimes crude, even insulting.  Stern, OTOH, is into
sexual provocation and titillation.  Stern can be funny but is always crude.

"Imus in the Morning" featured comedy/parody that skewered everyone.  It
also included news, musical guests, political commentary, author interviews,
and some celebs.  It was an excellent show.

Imus spoke foolish and insulting words on the air in April.  He should have
known better.  At the time he apologized, both on his show and privately to
the Rutgers team and their parents, in New Jersey.

Imus handled himself decently at the time.  He was fired because the swirl
of controversy seemed to call for it.  Something had to be done.

I liked Imus's show and hope he does return.  I shun Stern's show.

Frank Abate