The earth v. Earth (UNCLASSIFIED)

Montgomery Michael ullans at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 8 17:35:21 UTC 2007

Well, the Scottish Arts Council has been the core
funder of SNDA/SLDL for some years, but according to
the DSL website (and from personal recollection of
having been there) it was the AHRB that funded the
project per se.  I recall that they had some smaller
support from private sources such as the Carnegie
Trust.

SAC helps pay for staff, outreach, rent, etc. so that
the SLDL can survive, which is on a shoestring, I
might add.  The SAC has too many mouths to feed to
have funded of a major academic resource such as the
preparation of the dictionary.  I am copying this
message to Christine Robinson, Administrator of SLDL,
so that she might can set us straight on all this.

Scots have long been, as they continue to be,
fundamental to lexicography in Britain.  It would be
nigh impossible to imagine the course of dictionary
making in Britain without them.

Michael

--- Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>

http://www.scotsdictionaries.org.uk/About/Funders.html