"Jackass" deemed "inappropriate"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 8 19:01:40 UTC 2007

Back in the '60's, there was a popular proto-salsa tune named "El
Pussycat." Look for it on iTunes and you'll find "El P***ycat." ITunes
also marks tunes as CLEAN or EXPLICIT. A CLEAN tune is an EXPLICIT
tune that has had the good parts bleeped out. Among the CLEAN tunes is
a '40's Christmas record named "Sleighride." Given that this is an
instrumental, what words did iTunes find to bleep? OTOH, the hiphop
tune, "I'm Sorry," which has the words, "I'm sorry I fucked yo' bitch,
man. I'm sorry I fucked yo' bitch," is left completely unmarked.
Ridiculous!

There's an early example of P.C. In 1964, Jan & Dean recorded
"Sidewalk Surfin'." The original recording has the line,

You'll probably _eat it_
The fist time you shoot the curb

Later versions have

You'll probably _wipe out_
The first time you shoot the curb

-Wilson

On 8/8/07, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      "Jackass" deemed "inappropriate"
>
> Now that we've mastered "B-word" avoidance, _Fox & Friends_ implies that many are avoiding the "J-word" as well.
>
>   In an oblique allusion to the MTV show _Jackass_, anchor Steve Doocy remarked a few minutes ago that Johnny Knoxville hosted a show "with a very inappropriate name."  The name was not uttered.
>
>   Curiously, the title _Jackass_ was entirely appropriate since the show was about the idiotic, frequently injurious stunts of morons.  Oh! "Inappropriate" in the sense of "naughty." Now I get it.
>
>   JL

> Got a little couch potato?

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens