funny books--was: things that are not eggcorns

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 10 13:26:40 UTC 2007

I always said "comic books," though I also heard "funny books."

  "The funnies" to me were newspaper comics only.  As Margaret says, none of these had to be funny; the defining quality was a series of illustrated panels.  Superman. for example, appeared in the "comics" as well as the "funnies."

  My grandfather occasionally used the facetious parting salutation, "See you in the funny papers!"

  So antiquated am I that I intentionally refer to "graphic novels" as "comic books."

  JL
Margaret Lee <mlee303 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Margaret Lee
Subject: Re: funny books--was: things that are not eggcorns

Wilson,

It's bveen years since I've seen/heard "funny books" used. I grew up with that term but somehow switched over to "comic books." I know the Sunday comics were called the "funny papers." And, of course, not all funny books were funny.

-Margaret Lee
Wilson Gray wrote:
Around the end of WWII, IIRC, there appeared a funnybook entitled "The
Grim Reaper." At that time, I was familiar with the word "reaper," but
not with the word, "grim." So, I decided that "grim" was a mistake for
"grime." But how would one reap grime? That didn't make sense. After a
bit more thought, the solution to this puzzle became obvious, The hero
was "The CRIME Reaper"! He used his scythe to scoff up criminals. So,
for a long time, i.e. ca. two years. I was under the impression that
there was a funnybook hero named "The Crime Reaper." Indeed, by
extension, any representation of the Grim Reaper was interpreted by me
as being one of the Crime Reaper. I'll leave it to others to decide
whether this was a real eggcorn.

-Wilson

On 8/9/07, David A. Daniel wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: "David A. Daniel"
> Subject: Re: things that are not eggcorns
>
> Can an eggcorn be created on purpose? John D. MacDonald's book, "The Green
> Ripper", one of the Travis McGee series, gets it title from a (fictional)
> child's misunderstanding of the Grim Reaper. The kid lives in fear that the
> Green Ripper will someday come to get him. It may well be that MacDonald
> actually knew of a real-life instance of this and then used it for the story
> but dunno. So: Does an eggcorn have to be an accident in order to an
> eggcorn?
> DAD

-----
-Sam'l Clemens