P.E.P.?

Fri Aug 10 17:12:20 UTC 2007

I'm not sure that the time does match up. PEP was (as a noun) an outdated
slang term in the 1950s., at least for me: I thought of it as a term favored by
people born before 1920. I'm sure that there are guys born before 1920 who are
still concerned about the quality of their erections, but they are surely not
the primary market for P.E.P.? I do think that the verb "pep up" is somewhat
less archaic.

Google lists nearly 23,000,000 entries for "pep"--however, the first 50 items
do not contain one actual USE of "pep" in the sense of 'vigor'--though there
are a few dictionary definitions, and PEP Boys auto repair does seem still to
make use of the slang sense. Kellog once marketed a brand of cereal called
PEP, but it has not been on the market for years.

In a message dated 8/10/07 12:28:04 PM, borowitz at STANFORD.EDU writes:

> This is pure speculation, but consider the target audience of erectile
> dysfunction ads. Using a slang term from baby boomers' youth for that kind
> of product could help recall their own younger, more vigorous days. (I say
> this without being particularly confident that the timing matches up.)

 Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at