the 1966 "nine yards" audience listed (UNCLASSIFIED)

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Aug 10 17:31:54 UTC 2007

Thanks, Bill. I do not assert that the 1942 quote is the *whole* story. I
mentioned 1964, 1966 (twice), 1967, and 1969 parts of the story, and the
proposed defense contractor tradents, in my latest message.
I do say it's a quite important part of the story. The options are not limited
to those you (and some number of others) currently allow. The quote need not
have followed such limits or specifications. The 1942 quote is not like any
earlier quote, that I've seen so far. Linear measure ones are different. I
invite others who have not spoken on line or off to give their views. I'm more
interested in history than in appeals to authority. No one owns the quote. By
the way, I do not put much store in views along the lines that, were this the
case "we would know about it" already.  In that vein, I don't think SNAFU is a
good example WWII parallel equivalent. A somewhat better one, still I suppose
not thoroughly explained, might be gizmo/gismo. It so far appears to be of
military origin, from about the same WWII time period, 1940-1941 or so, compared
to 1942. And the current twenty-two year gap is not unknown in other cases.

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson