P.E.P.?

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Fri Aug 10 23:55:32 UTC 2007

 I have to admit that the demise of "pep" as energy or vigor went unnoticed
by me, but I'm pretty sure it was still viable  through the '50s, at least.
The pep squad -- all-girl  cheerleaders -- in  the highschool I attended
'46-'47,  was called the "Peppers."
Perhaps Pepsi-Cola was trying to steal some of the Dr.Pepper market.  IIRC
Dr Pepper was very big in the south & I'm pretty sure was around before
Pepsi came along.  "Pepsi" sounds a lot livelier (to my ear) than "pep"
does.  Remember Be(e)man's Pepsin Chewing Gum?  They also made "Black Jack"
(licorice flavored).   The gum definitely had pepsin flavor, but I don't
think Pepsi did.
AM