More surprising censorship

Chris F Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Sat Aug 11 17:46:38 UTC 2007

Joel Shaver wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Joel Shaver <vole at NETW.COM>
> Subject:      More surprising censorship
>
> Along the lines of iTunes censorship mentioned by Wilson and others- the
> Pandora website (usually very interested in preserving integrity)
> includes this sentence in reference to a Nickel Creek album:
>
> 'Longtime fans who were mystified by Chris Thile
> <http://www.pandora.com/music/artist/chris+thile>'s experimental 2004
> solo release Deceiver
> <http://www.pandora.com/music/album/chris+thile/deceiver> may c**k their
> collective heads in dismay, but those who appreciate the group's searing
> musicianship, orgasmic harmonies, and genre-bending arrangements will no
> doubt wear out their copies of Why Should the Fire Die? within the first
> month of ownership.'
> ( ~ James Christopher Monger, All Music Guide)
> http://www.pandora.com/music/album/nickel+creek/why+should+the+fire+die
>
> Interesting example of accidental censorship of words, but lack of
> censorship of offensive (or at least offensively tacky) descriptions?

These things are going to become more and more common as out of the box
forum and content management software increasingly ships and activates
such filters, at least for English. The most amusing one lately was the
blocking of "cock" on the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of
Birds), which actually made it into the mainstream media here in the UK.
(I think Arnold Zwicky blogged it on LL.)

I am becoming reluctant to even call it "censorship" as it is happening
more and more often without any editorial oversight -- just the IT
department upgrading the software and enabling the recommended modules.
Or if decisions are made, they may well be related to the fear of being
caught out on child protection laws, and don't seem to be very well
thought through.

Chris Waigl