P.E.P.? Pepsi

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 11 18:35:38 UTC 2007

Check this out, y'all.

According to a note in the textbook, A Reading Course in Homeric
Greek, by Raymond V. Schoder, SJ, & Vincent C. Horrigan, SJ, that I
used in high school, 1952-1954, Pepsi-Cola originated as a
19th-century snake-oil specific for digestion. The first part of its
name, Pepsi, is a derivative of Greek peptein (pepto, pepso, pepsa),
"cook," hence "digest" in what was known as, in those days, "Learned
Latin" or "Scientific Latin." (I'm aware that these terms may have
been in use beyond 1954 and may even still be in use to this day.)
Needless to say, this word is also the source of the pepto "I cook" (>
"I digest") in Pepto-Bismol.

There has since been a second edition of this work, updated to 2007.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen it, so I have no idea as to whether this
claim re Pepsi-Cola is maintained.

-Wilson

On 8/10/07, Darla Wells <dlw3208 at louisiana.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Darla Wells <dlw3208 at LOUISIANA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: P.E.P.?  Pepsi
>
> From Wikipedia:
> Pepsi was first made in New Bern, North Carolina in the United States in the
> early 1890s by pharmacist Caleb Bradham. In 1898, "Brad's drink" was changed
> to "Pepsi-Cola" and later trademarked on June 16, 1903.[1] There are several
> theories on the origin of the word "pepsi".
>
> The only two discussed within the current PepsiCo website are the following:
>
>    1. Caleb Bradham bought the name "Pep Kola" from a local competitor and
> changed it to Pepsi-Cola...
>
> Another theory is that Caleb Bradham and his customers simply thought the name
> sounded good or the fact that the drink had some kind of "pep" in it because
> it was a carbonated drink, they gave it the name "Pepsi".
>
> Okay, now add Britney Spears and Bob Dole and you have the "vigor" you have
> been talking about, connected in more ways than one.
>

> Darla
>

> With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince. With science, you can turn a
> frog into a Ph.D and you still have the frog you started with. (Terry Pratchett)

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens