Re: [ADS-L] Want I should?

Mon Aug 13 17:12:10 UTC 2007

This is my experience as well; though I grew up in a neighborhood (in the
1940s and 50s in Cedar Rapids, Iowa) that was not specifically German (the
grandparents of most of my playmates were Czech), "want (that) ... should" was
commonplace. There would have been little specifically Yiddish influence.

While M. Montgomery's report of the construction in Appalachia is doubtless
correct, this seems to be a widespread construction.

In a message dated 8/13/07 1:04:56 PM, zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU writes:

> i see that all of michael's examples have zero-marked complement
> clauses.  in the pennsylvania-dutch-influenced english of my
> childhood, "want... should" can have "that" complements as well:
>    I want (that) you should leave now.
>    Do you want (that) I should leave now?
>
> "want... should" is another one of those items/constructions that
> undoubtedly has arisen several times in several different places via
> the influence of different varieties of germanic languages (yiddish
> included).  people who attribute these items specifically to yiddish
> are taking yiddish to be the germanic substrate language par
> excellence -- something that only someone with little experience of
> varieties influenced by other germanic varieties would be likely to
> do.  (if it sounds sort of german, it's really yiddish.)
>
> arnold

 Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at