Been knowin'and Have to (WAS Want I should?)

Mon Aug 13 20:55:53 UTC 2007

Probably I should have said "Non-South" rather than   "North". I'd expect
that there would be people in western Kentucky who would follow the "South"
patterns in both cases, but I 'm not sure. As I recall, these forms were not
discussed for West Virginia in Wolfram and Chrisitan. Many low-frequency items go
unnonticed, as Mike Montgomery's posting earlier today indicates.

My sense is that the "Shall" form of the question is found everywhere, at
least among those folks who answer phones for other people. But it would have
been safer for me to have written

Do you want me to have him (to) call you?

Rather than "Shall I have him to call you?"

In a message dated 8/13/07 4:30:06 PM, JMB at STRADLEY.COM writes:

>         Where do you see the dividing line between North and South on
> these points?  As a native of south-central Kentucky, I would have said
> "I've known them for a long time" and "Should I have him call you?"  In
> other words, the "North" versions (except that a native of my area is
> unlikely to begin a sentence with "Shall I").
>

> John Baker

 Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at