Want I should?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 14 01:06:25 UTC 2007

"Alternative ONE" sounds perfectly ordinary to me as a feature of
Black English, with one trivial distinction. I'd write it as

"You can put it in my mailbox or under my door, one."

(In this case, dInIs, I really do hear it and speak it with comma
intonation. It's not motivated by something that I learned in a
high-school course on English grammar.)

-Wilson

On 8/13/07, Montgomery Michael <ullans at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Montgomery Michael <ullans at YAHOO.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Want I should?
>
> Beverly, you're mighty right with regard to my
> implication.  If this construction does have a basis
> in German (and probably anyway), I'd expect it to show
> up elsewhere in the U.S. hinterland, since millions of
> German speakers emigrated to America in the 18th/19th
> centuries, largely to the interior.  My original point
> is only a hypothesis, though.  Surely we have someone
> on the list whose German (and maybe its varieties) is
> good enough to enlighten us what the underlying
> structure might have been.  I don't doubt that the
> WANT I SHOULD construction probably has a Yiddish
> basis for megalopolitan speakers.
>
> I spent a dozen years culling a vast range of
> material, both written and oral, from the TN/NC
> mountain area, so in so long with my radar on, it
> should not be surprising that some syntactic patterns
> were detected that are still buzzing below most of our
> screens.  I'd probably not have included it in the
> dictionary if it had occurred only once, but there it
> was, half a century apart and from two different
> (albeit written) sources.
>
> The "want I should" construction is not native to me,
> but there are others I've noticed (and sometimes
> studied) in my speech after either hearing myself on
> tape or having someone misunderstand me.
>
> An example of the first type is present perfect + AGO,
> as in "That's been many years ago."  In 1977 if
> someone had asked me directly what verb form I used
> with AGO, I would no doubt have said the simple past
> ("That was many years ago"), yet when I audited
> recordings I made with local folks in East Tennessee,
> there I was using the present perfect.  Was it
> accommodation?  Probably, in part.  But I've noticed
> myself using it at other times over the past thirty
> years, now that I'm alert to it.  And now that I am, I
> hear speakers in southern Appalachia who use the
> present perfect with AGO universally.  As a result of
> all this, I put the pattern in my dictionary, s.v.
> both AGO and HAVE.
>
> Now, AGO with the present perfect may be a common
> colloquialism in this country, and if so, I'd like to
> know this (when I google for "been many years ago," I
> do get 10,700 hits).  But I've never seen or heard any
> discussion about it, and since syntactic patterns too
> rarely get entered in dictionaries, especially
> historical dictionaries, I couldn't find anything that
> I could connect my observations to.  It's not in DARE
> sv.v. AGO.
>
> An example of the second type of phenomenon is what I
> have termed "alternative ONE."  Some dozen years ago I
> told a class of students at the end of the hour how
> they could submit their assignment to me: "You can put
> it in my mailbox or under my door one."  Most of the
> students were of course South Carolinians, and they
> [...]

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens