"abscond with" 'steal'

Tue Aug 14 17:27:08 UTC 2007

All of this reminds me a bit of the semantic shift in "accost" from
'approach and address (someone) boldly or aggressively' to 'threaten
(someone) with physical violence' to 'assault (someone)'. At least I
think that's how the shift has gone-- as with "abscond", OED has yet
to include the newer senses. (Can't wait till those "A" entries are
revised!)

--Ben Zimmer