/t/ for /d/ for word endings

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 15 19:56:47 UTC 2007

You're on point, Scot.  Barret has a point, but doesn't go to the heart of
this one.  The point is; what is the last sound /d/ or /t/ when "ed" is
added to words ending in sounds /f/k/p/s/sh/ch/, for example.

sniffed
packed
tripped
hissed
fished
pitched

My thinking is that if the word is said in isolation the "d" after these
phonemes may sound a little like a /t/, but if you add another word like
"in" after each, it goes to a /d/.  That's because the "d" tends to migrate
to the begining of next word.  It doesn't sound like "pitch tin" but "pitch
din".  Note that this is USA accent.

I do have a problem with the theory that "d" /d/ is "voiced".  It's an
unvoiced plosive to me.  Is there any voicing going on at the end of words
that end with "d", such as mad, weed, food, find, hard?  I'm not hearing
any, just a plosive and a stop.  No vibration at all indicating voicing.

See truespel.com - and the 4  truespel books plus "Occasional Poems" at
authorhouse.com.