Payola (UNCLASSIFIED [I guess!]) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Aug 17 16:15:53 UTC 2007

On 8/17/07, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC <Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:

> I work at an army base (Redstone Arsenal, in Huntsville, AL), and about
> a year ago the IT people who manage our internet and email pushed an
> extension to Outlook that forces the (UNCLASSIFIED) addition to the
> subject line of all outgoing emails, and adds the "Classification:
> UNCLASSIFIED  Caveats:  NONE" to the top and bottom of the message.
>
> I have no ability to take it off, and am sorry that it clutters up the
> list.
>
> If I post from a web-based client, it won't add the "classified"
> markers, but it adds extraneous characters as were discussed yesterday.

Not necessarily. If you use Gmail and keep your outgoing messages in
"plain text" mode, there won't be any extraneous characters (and no
garbling from the inclusion of URLs, as previously discussed).

It's also possible to use Gmail to send messages from other email
addresses (as I'm currently doing, using Gmail with my Penn address in
the "From:" line), so you might even be able to keep  your .mil
address if you wanted to continue using that for posting to the list.
Only downside to that setup, I've noticed, is that there's about a
10-minute delay before ADS-L posts messages sent that way.

--Ben Zimmer