Payola (UNCLASSIFIED [I guess!]) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 17 21:14:57 UTC 2007

Can you change it to "DECLASSIFIED"?

  That would actually spice things up.

  JL

"Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC"
Subject: Re: Payola (UNCLASSIFIED [I guess!]) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I work at an army base (Redstone Arsenal, in Huntsville, AL), and about
a year ago the IT people who manage our internet and email pushed an
extension to Outlook that forces the (UNCLASSIFIED) addition to the
subject line of all outgoing emails, and adds the "Classification:
UNCLASSIFIED Caveats: NONE" to the top and bottom of the message.

I have no ability to take it off, and am sorry that it clutters up the
list.

If I post from a web-based client, it won't add the "classified"
markers, but it adds extraneous characters as were discussed yesterday.

The whole thing is kind of stupid, because if I were to use open emails
for classified messages, I would get in all sorts of trouble (and am
liable to get prosecuted under federal law, although I've never heard of
that happening to anyone.) By default, all email messages are
unclassified, open emails are not an approved method of sending
classified information (even with encryption), and other procedures
exist to transmit classified info (there is a dedicated network,
completely encrypted to NSA standards, that can be used for some
classified material).

I think the rationale is that even though I'm a professional, who
undergoes security training annually, who manages a program with a staff
of 15 or so and a seven-figure budget, who has been entrusted with
material which "if disclosed, would cause grave damage to national
security", that I'm so stupid I must be hit with a hammer every time I
send a email to remind me that I can't send classified emails.

But I'm not bitter.

Bill