"Happiness is . . ."

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sat Aug 18 21:36:02 UTC 2007

When I first encountered the caption/book-title "Happiness Is a Warm Puppy" in the early 1960s, I assumed that the usually-decorous Charles Schulz was parodying--therefore bawdily alluding to--the expression "happiness is a warm pussy," which I was familiar with. When the Beatles' "White Album" appeared in 1968, with the song "Happiness Is a Warm Gun," I didn't know which older expression was the prototype (maybe both).

Now, I can't discover much of an early record of the saying "Happiness is a warm pussy." It can be found in Elting, Cragg, and Deal's _Dictionary of Soldier Talk_ (1984; s.v. "prosign," p. 241), among expressions from WW2 and later wars, but without a date.

Any recollections or documentation?

--Charlie