Roll up the sidewalks

Mon Aug 20 21:22:34 UTC 2007

On 8/20/07, Doug Harris <cats22 at frontiernet.net> wrote:
> It has even been charged by many would-be humorists that at 9 o'clock in the
> evening we roll up the sidewalks, knowing there will be no further need for
> them that night.
> Lee Shippey, "The Lee Side of L. A.", Los Angeles Times, April 19, 1937.

1932 _L.A. Times_ 6 Nov. III13/2 They're not rolling up the sidewalks
at 9 o'clock in Hollywood any more.

1934 _L.A. Times_ 9 July 11/1 In fact, the shades of night had fallen
fast and the city fathers had already rolled up the sidewalks in
Wilmington.

1936 _L.A. Times_ 13 May 14/2 We are rolling up the sidewalks here --
because summer's coming!

--Ben Zimmer