Soonest = as soon as

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Aug 21 12:30:58 UTC 2007

A friend of mine (highly educated), on her telephone-answering machine, offers to return calls "at the soonest possible moment."  That's always sounded strange to me--though perfectly comprehensible.

The phrase "the soonest possible moment" gets 1,500 Google hits; "the soonest possible opportunity" gets 2,100; "the soonest possible time" gets 67,900.

--Charlie