Nobel Prize for Archaeological Grammar

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 21 14:19:35 UTC 2007

OED suggests that "dived" is far older than "dove."

  OTOH, "to I and _" has become the spoken norm in my experience as well.  TV journalists seem never to use anything else. Never.

  Most annoying.

  JL

"David A. Daniel" <dad at POKERWIZ.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "David A. Daniel"
Subject: Re: Nobel Prize for Archaeological Grammar

I don't get it. OK, scuba-dived sounds kind of weird, but so does
scuba-dove. I think most folks would say "I went scuba diving" and sidestep
the issue. With or without the scuba, though, dived and dove are both
perfectly respectable as past tense for dive. Am I missing something? As for
"...sent it to I and my brother" I don't think I know anyone (any native
speakers, that is) who would say that. Maybe I don't know the right people?
DAD