Nobel Prize for Archaeological Grammar

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Tue Aug 21 14:46:43 UTC 2007

"Dived" has been overtaking "dove" for a long time; the latter is Northern
in the early Atlas records but less common elsewhere (again, see Virginia
McDavid on past tense forms).  The natural regularization process is alive
and well here; I almost never hear "dove" anymore (I use it, but then I'm
an archaic Minnesotan).

As for objective "I": I hear it all the time too, along with subjective
"Me" (Me and my brother went swimming).  As many have pointed out though
(including Arnold?), conjoined subjects (or objects) seem to license this
change, whereas a single subject (or object) never would:  *He sent it to
I.  *Me went swimming.

Beverly