Nobel Prize for Archaeological Grammar

Tue Aug 21 15:20:24 UTC 2007

On Aug 21, 2007, at 7:07 AM, David A. Daniel wrote:

> I don't get it. OK, scuba-dived sounds kind of weird, but so does
> scuba-dove.

i neglected to comment on this on my previous posting.  as has been
known for a very long time (and made much of by paul kiparsky 25
years ago), derived words tend very strongly to regularize.  we've
commented on this many times before in ADS-L.

of these two variants, "scuba-dove" is by far the less preferable,
even for people who have only