Oftenly

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 24 05:06:25 UTC 2007

Gerald writes:

"Very few  blends make it to the big-time of the =
standard language (e.g., "time and again" from "time after time" and =
"again and again.").

FWIW, though I am, naturally, fully familiar with both "time after
time" and "again and again," I know "time and again" only as a
literary or a poetic form. In ordinary, colloquial speech, I am
accustomed to hearing only "I've told you _time and time again_." It's
one of those "mother-talk" speech-forms such as, "your head is hard as
a rock," "talking to you is like talking to a wall," "if I've told you
once, I've told you a thousand times," "don't make me have to come get
you," "I thought I told you to clean up this mess," "I'm going to beat
you till I can't see you," "can't we have anything nice around here?"
etc., etc., etc.

Not being a parent, I've never had occasion to use these myself, but
I've heard these and more all too many times.

-Wilson

On 8/23/07, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at umr.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Oftenly
>
>     "Fastly" based on its antonym "slowly" seems to be something that =
> only children would produce (although it could  later be imitated by =
> adults, if they so wished).  I can't imagine an adult producing "fastly" =
> under the influence of "slowly."  But I *can* imagine it being produced =
> by a blend, since blending frequently occurs in adult speech--as slips =
> of the tongue, it is true, but then that is an integral part of the =
> nature of blending.  Very few  blends make it to the big-time of the =
> standard language (e.g., "time and again" from "time after time" and =
> "again and again.").
> =20
>      So "fastly," if produced spontaneously in adult speech, would like =
> derive from a blending of "fast" + "quickly."
> =20
>      Now, if "oftenly" arose in adult speech, I see no problem in =
> invoking blending *at least as a possibility.*  I've been noticing (and =
> often writing down) blends for almost 40 years.  Some may be more =
> convincing than others, but the overall picture I have is of a =
> linguistic feature which occurs more often than the linguistic community =
> as a whole has recognized.=20
> =20
>     In another message today Arnold quotes an earlier message of his:
>
>   >i think that jerry's use of "blend" here stretches the word beyond
> all usefulness.  it's just wrong to use a single term for all
> expressions that can be analyzed as a combination of two expressions.<
> =20
>      Beyond all usefulness?  I respectfully disagree.  If blending =
> really is very frequent in language; if there are lexical blends as well =
> as syntactic ones (and this isn't original with me); and if people =
> frequently say "often" and "frequently," I see nothing daring in saying =
> that if a form "oftenly" arises, it may be a blend of the two words.  =
> Now, maybe "oftenly" arose by analogy with the antonym "rarely" or =
> "seldomly."   But to rule out blending because the term allegedly is =
> "beyond all usefulness" is to run the  risk of setting aside a very =
> useful tool in analyzing speech errors and the origin of various =
> idiomatic features of English.
> =20
> Gerald Cohen
> =20