"If you can't stand the heat,get out of the kitchen" (1942)

Shapiro, Fred Fred.Shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 25 13:44:02 UTC 2007

Outstanding antedating, Barry!  This seemingly knocks out the attribution to Harry Vaughan.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Barry Popik [bapopik at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2007 5:50 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: "If you can't stand the heat,get out of the kitchen" (1942)

It's a hot August day in Texas...Google has conducted its annual August
algorithm changes. It happened to me last August. My Google hits drop 1/3 to
1/2 overnight. When Google has done this, my Google Adsense revenue has
dropped to as low as two cents a day.
The Yale Book of Quotations (Pg. 787, under "Harry Vaughan") has April 28,
1952 as the earliest documented usage of this saying.
 12 July 1942, Charleston (WV) Gazette, pg. 7, col. 6:
Favorite rejoinder of Sen. Harry S. Truman, when a member of his war
contracts investigating committee objects to his strenuous pace. "If you
don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen."
22 October 1951, Troy (NY) Times-Record, pg. 1, col. 7:
Vaughan said the President "resents" this criticism but quoted Mr. Truman as
saying frequently: "Anybody who can't stand the heat better get out of the
kitchen."
5 December 1951, The New Mexican (Santa Fe, NM), pg. 4, col. 4:
"The Truman saying most often quoted by a major beneficiary of his
stubbornness, Maj. Gen. Harry Vaughan, is: "If you can't stand the heat, get
out of the kitchen."
29 December 1951, Syracuse (NY) Post-Standard, pg. 19?, col. 6:
If You Can't Stand the Heat
Get Out of the Kitchen
(Democratic Donkey is shown in a cartoon, as a chef in a very hot
kitchen--B.P.)