Make a mile

Your Name ROSESKES at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 26 05:09:02 UTC 2007

I just told a Texas friend that I had to go make a mile, meaning I have to
make some progress; I have to get some thing(s) done; implying I can't sit
around talking to her any longer for now.  She'd never heard this  expression.
I'd always kind of assumed it was a Texan "thing," since my  mother said it
constantly, and she spent much of her youth in Texas.   However, she did also
spend a few years in southern California and Boston; and  is of Italian descent.

I realize any or all of that background may be irrelevant; I include it  just
in case.  Does anyone know whence the phrase "make a mile"?

Rosemarie

Hey, be careful. You don't know where that hand sanitizer's  been!