More language change on the fly (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Aug 27 17:11:08 UTC 2007

On Aug 27, 2007, at 9:03 AM, Bill Mullins wrote:

> Maybe "relented" grew out of "related"?

nice idea.  that would make it phonological at root: hearing some
spontaneous nasalization on the /e/ of "related" as representing an /
n/ (following a somewhat raised variant of /E/).  such perceptions
(in both directions: hearing spontaneous nasalization as an /n/,
hearing an /n/ as merely spontaneous nasalization) are very common,
especially in unaccented syllables, but also sometimes in accented
syllables; they are detectable in misspellings (with {n} written
where it doesn't belong, and with {n} omitted where it does).

in any case, there are some cases where the spelling {relent} pretty
clearly represents "relate" (in at least two senses of "relate"):

The speed is relented to the synchronous speed oJ. of the induction
motor. Torques and currents are. suitably referred to the rated values.
www.springerlink.com/index/T663NX768X7778NX.pdf

The present invention is relented to apparatuses or mechanical
devices for medical treatment of certain ailments. More precisely,
the present invention is ...
www.patentstorm.us/patents/5618264-description.html

I started/tried to start drawing D4K some yesterday and I didn't get
much done, but hey, small steps.  When I relented it to Phil, that
is, my lack of drawing much or getting back into the groove, Phil
asked me if I was retiring, which I didn't necessarily 'get', but..
no, I'm not retiring.
blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?
fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=2524763&blogID=290740299&Mytoken=C34...

PAM BENNETT WAHLBERG, MEERKAT RESCUE: They are relented to sibits
(ph) and genits (ph), linsangs (ph), bassas (ph), and bingerons
(ph).  ["(ph)" indicates that a photograph was displayed on the tv
screen at that point]
www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15128914/

on the other hand, there are cases where "relent to" seems to mean
something like 'resign to' (so that semantics rather than phonology
is at issue):

I just got done watching The O'Reilly factor on Fox news, and well, I
am relented to sitting back and scratching my head.
blog.360.yahoo.com/ blog-nowThF0ifqcLqH20wn_k3axZI6uR?p=2

If I had your 4 episodes a day on TIVO I would be thrilled, alas I am
relented to my few seasons of DVDs. ...
www.joehollywood.com/mash/board/viewtopic.php?
p=875&sid=d53baa087903caa0730a9e86a8acccb2

I was just about to relent myself to editing all of the breaks out of
the source of each page (an undertaking that meant several hours of
additional work), ...
avg-joe.com/onthego/01/onthego3.htm

If i am the child, will I fight for my life, or just relent myself to
fate, knowing that there is no cure?? I do not know. Live life
bedridden? or take ...
kev-walkabout.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html