More language change on the fly (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 28 02:15:07 UTC 2007

At 10:11 AM -0700 8/27/07, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
>On Aug 27, 2007, at 9:03 AM, Bill Mullins wrote:
>
>>Maybe "relented" grew out of "related"?
>
>nice idea.  that would make it phonological at root: hearing some
>spontaneous nasalization on the /e/ of "related" as representing an /
>n/ (following a somewhat raised variant of /E/).  such perceptions
>(in both directions: hearing spontaneous nasalization as an /n/,
>hearing an /n/ as merely spontaneous nasalization) are very common,
>especially in unaccented syllables, but also sometimes in accented
>syllables; they are detectable in misspellings (with {n} written
>where it doesn't belong, and with {n} omitted where it does).
>
>in any case, there are some cases where the spelling {relent} pretty
>clearly represents "relate" (in at least two senses of "relate"):

Note, though, that all the examples I cited earlier, including the
one that kicked off the thread--

"Manny Ramirez didn't start for the Red Sox. Manager Terry Francona
said it was just a day off but relented that Ramirez had been
bothered by a sore back."

--involves "relented that" rather than the infinitival complement
you're discussing here.  Of course "related" takes a finite
complement too, but it lacks the concessive or reluctant nature of
the examples I cited yesterday, and "resign", which has the right
semantics, doesn't help with those "that" clauses either for
syntactic reasons.  "relent to" in your bottom examples may well have
been a refashioning of "resign to", but that still leaves "relent
that".

LH