Red Light District (1898? From NYC or Texas?) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 30 01:33:26 UTC 2007

OED has it back to 1797.

  JL

Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Red Light District (1898? From NYC or Texas?) (UNCLASSIFIED)

"Chief Devery to-day _detailed_ several men ..."

What's the date on this? 1898? 1899?

I had no idea that it went back so far. Till now, I'd thought that
this particular use of "detail" as a verb was peculiar to the
relatively-recent military (abstracting away from the fact that police
departments are quasi-military organizations). I probably first heard
"detail" used this way in '40's war movies, but I remember it for
certain only from the years of my own military service (late '50's to
early '60's).

-Wilson, once upon a time himself often one of several men detailed

On 8/28/07, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC"
> Subject: Re: Red Light District (1898? From NYC or Texas?) (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> "Stabbing Affray on Cripple Creek." The Knoxville Journal; Date:
> 05-06-1895; Volume: XI; Issue: 69; Page: 4;
> "A little stabbing affray occurred on Cripple Creek at the "Red Light
> House," about two o'clock yesterday morning.
> George Washington tried to force his way into a room where another negro
> was by the name of Pleas Miller, charging him with having locked up his,
> Washington's, wife. Pleas tried to put him out and got cut in the arm
> for his trouble."
>

> "A Red Light Tragedy" The Wheeling Register.; Date: 09-17-1896; Volume:
> 35; Issue: 70; p. 4
> "Louisville, Ky., September 16.-- At an early hour this morning Carrie
> Jennings, colored, in a fit of jealousy, stabbed Monroe Bell, colored,
> aged 32 years, to death and then fatally shot herself in the head. The
> tragedy occurred in the Red Light district on Green street, between
> Seventh and Eighth streets."

-----
-Sam'l Clemens

Building a website is a piece of cake.