the Shandy-Lack theory revisited

Landau, James James.Landau at NGC.COM
Thu Aug 30 12:18:14 UTC 2007

Per the Shandy-Lack theory, Allan Metcalf should be the greeter at the State Fair, Ron Butters should run a dairy farm, Mark Mandel should own an almond orchard, and I should be in the business of repairing automobile roofs.

But no, John Tyler did not fix floors, Zachary Taylor did not make men's suits, Dwight Eisenhower was not a blacksmith, and Jimmy Carter was not a teamster.

Seriously, Shandy-Lack is an exceptional case of reversing cause and effect.  In most European cultures surnames are either patronymics like "Thompson", place names like "Landau" (a town in the Palatinate of Germany), or occupational names such as "Boyer", "Fletcher", and "Arrowsmith".  Hence, in the case of occupational names, the occupation came first and the name followed it, not vice versa.

George, I am surprised that you would be naïve as to seriously consider Shandy-Lack.  After all, you are the son of a man named "Thomp" (presumably a variation on "Tom") and therefore, via nature or nurture, you should have acquired his standing as a doubting Thomas.

OT:  Quote of the week "the enormity of modern databases"  - Sam Clements

OT:  From Barry Popik  ""Boy's Town" or "Boys Town" is a place in Mexico near the Texas border where "boys" go to find "girls." These places of prostitution are also called "Zona de Tolerancia" (Zone of Tolerance) and "Zona Roja" (Red Zone) and "Zona Rosa" (Rose Zone or Pink Zone)."

Question:  is there any connection between Mexican "Zona Roja", "Zona Rosa" and US "Red light district"?  Or just coincidence?

James A. Landau
test engineer
Northrop-Grumman Information Technology
8025 Black Horse Pike, Suite 300
West Atlantic City NJ 08232 USA

YXAZH PLRJJ WNDNC RPWRX PHHTS IOMBC BMFAP
WJKWF YAFQG ZAHED I