scoff/scarf

Thu Aug 30 20:30:07 UTC 2007

Note also the dialectal spelling of "scoff" as "scorf". OED cites
Hotten's Slang Dictionary (1864): "Scorf, to eat voraciously." And
Google Books has Parish & Shaw, A Dictionary of the Kentish Dialect
(1888):

SCORF [skauf] vb. To gobble; eat greedily. (See also _Scoff_.)
"You've scorfed up all the meat purty quick, ain't ye?"
http://books.google.com/books?id=CmQOAAAAMAAJ

The pronunciation given in that entry is non-rhotic, so this is
presumably a pronunciation spelling along the lines of:

<ar> for [A:] - "marm" (for "ma'am"), "barth" (for southern Eng.
"bath"), "Myanmar"
<er> or <ur> for [@:] - "er(m)...", "Winnie ther Pooh", "lurve", "Burma"
<or> for [O:] - "Eeyore" (for "(h)ee(h)aw")

Many of these non-rhotic pronunciation spellings engender rhotic
spelling pronunciations, as when rhotic Americans try to pronounce the
title of the Led Zeppelin tune "D'yer Maker" (actually a pun on
"Jamaica"), or when they read about "Winnie ther Pooh" and "Eeyore".
Also, I believe "marm" (as in "schoolmarm") originated as a non-rhotic
spelling of "ma'am", reinterpreted as rhotic. I wonder if something
similar happened with "scorf", later respelled as "scarf".

--Ben Zimmer