Believe on me: WTF?

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Fri Aug 31 13:24:32 UTC 2007

<The teacher replied that all Christians (read: "Catholics and, perhaps,
the Orthodox") are assumed
to be personal friends of God and you don't speak formally to your buds.>

What??  Protestants weren't included?!?  The KJV was sponsored by the
Protestant Anglicans, remember!
Be that as it may, James is doubtless right when he says most people today
think of the thou/thee/thy paradigm as formal, not informal--as do most of
my students until we do the Brown & Gilman tu/vos study.

Beverly