Query---"tap" = possum?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Dec 1 19:32:11 UTC 2007

At 12:26 PM -0500 12/1/07, Wilson Gray wrote:

>BTW, back in the 'Sixties, the Grand Dragon of the Kew Klux Klan was
>interviewed (see! I do read it for the articles!) in Playboy. In the
>course of the interview, an exchange like unto the following took
>place:
>
>GD: In modern times, there has never been a President who was a Southerner.
>
>PB: Really? What about Lyndon Johnson?
>
>GD (and here I quote): "He's not a Southerner. He's a Texan."
>
>Got that, Charlie? :-) Surely, there can be no authority greater than
>that of the Grand Dragon himself.
>
>-Wilson

Indeed, and it's not just the GD and his ilk.  I remember being
struck by a line in a song once in which a man who was thanked by his
wife for "moving us out of the South", in relocating them from New
Orleans to Houston.  That wasn't a move I'd have considered "out of
the South", but for this African American family it was.

LH