"Jazz Means Happy and Loose Like" (1917) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Dec 3 22:58:18 UTC 2007

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

>         Nice work.  Any theory why there would have been a
> ten-fold leap between 1880 and 1920?  The emergence as
> "Rastus" as a stigmatized name during that period might have
> suggested less popularity, not more.
>

> John Baker

The only fact I can come up with is that the enumerated population just
about
doubled during that era (38 M to 76 M).

Otherwise, I can speculate that Rastus may have become a more popular
name during that time period, or census counts may have become more
complete for
the social or geographic groups that tended to include Rastus as a name.