baseball cursing, 1898

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Dec 5 17:22:39 UTC 2007

        I spoke today with Robert Lifson at the auctioneer.  He had what
I will summarize as the following points:

        1.      The dating to 1898 is based primarily on internal
evidence and knowledge of events of the time.  The language and style is
generally consistent with baseball documents from this time.  He pointed
particularly to the Brush resolution against bad language, a major issue
in 1898, see below and also see
http://roadsidephotos.sabr.org/baseball/98lookingback.htm and
http://www.baseballlibrary.com/chronology/byyear.php?year=1898 (my
links, not his).  He suggested that it would have been unlikely for a
later writer, say from 1918, to duplicate this style, nor would there
have been the same reason to do so, since language would not have been
as big an issue.  A date from, say, 1899, would still be consistent with
the style of the time, but seems less likely because the language issue
by then was less prominent.

        2.      The document was found in a collection with other
documents from the 1890s, all relating to the Baltimore Orioles, a team
then noted for its bad behavior.

        3.      Mr. Lifson is of the opinion that the document is real
and not a joke or hoax, but did not have the same level of confidence as
he did on the dating issue.

        He also forwarded a long email from 19cBB, which I reproduce
below my signature.

        When these considerations are taken together with the expert
opinions of Jesse and Jon, it seems to me that the dating to c. 1898 is
reasonably well-established.  It does seem to me more likely that this
was a joke rather than an official League document.

John Baker

Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 9:06 PM
Subject: RE: [19cBB] purported Instructions to Players, 1898