ancestor = "descendant"

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Dec 6 15:12:35 UTC 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 07:02:20AM -0800, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:

> not in MWDEU or GMAU.  but very unlikely to go away.

We have a draft entry for this; the earliest example we have
is from a list of "Topsy-turvy pronunciations" (actually a
list of various verbal gaffes, not all pronunciation-related)
from 1920.

I had thought that this example, which is from ProQuest, had
been posted to ADS-L, but I can't find it in the archives now,
so I apologize to the person who found it who I cannot now
namecheck.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED