Outside his name

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 6 22:38:59 UTC 2007

Harvard's into that "We're really old" bag. One claim is that the date
of the legal, corporate name of the place makes Harvard the oldest
corporation _in the Western Hemisphere_: The President and Fellows of
Harvard _College_. Hence by extension, "Harvard College [Whatever]"
dates to 1636.

BTW, the Department of Applied Science has been promoted to the School
of Engineering and Applied Sciences. No longer will the World's
Greatest University be forced to use M.I.T. as a farm club. Cf., e.g.
Steven Pinker. With any luck and a few bucks, the 'Tute may well be
put out of business.

-Wilson

On Dec 6, 2007 1:57 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Outside his name
>
> At 1:40 PM -0500 12/6/07, Joel S. Berson wrote:
> >At 12/6/2007 10:20 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:
> >>There's also a unit called the "Harvard University Library," but it's
> >>only some kind of administrative office, to the best of my knowledge.
> >>I've used the Harvard College Library since 1972 and worked in Widener
> >>Library from 1980 to 2000, without ever having occasion to deal with
> >>the Harvard University Library, beyond standing in front of the
> >>building that houses it while waiting for the bus.
> >
> >Who paid you?  :-)
> >
> >Some Harvard libraries are not part of the Harvard College set, such
> >as Law, Business, Medicine, Education.  (Borrowing privileges at
> >Windener, at least for alumni of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, do
> >not automatically extend to these.)  Although I don't know whether
> >these make the "Harvard University Library" any more
> >content-full.  Next time I'm at one of these, I'll look to see how
> >the books are stamped.
> >
> >Joel
> >
> Everything is simpler here--Sterling Memorial Library, the
> counterpart of Widener, is indeed (part of) the Yale University
> Library, and books are stamped accordingly.  There is no Yale College
> Library (to go with the Yale College Dean's Office); even the
> undergraduate library (formerly Cross Campus Library, now--a major
> renovation and many millions of donor dollars later--Bass Library) is
> part of the Yale University Library.
>
> LH

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens