"na' nud'un," etc.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 9 05:02:05 UTC 2007

When I was a kid down in Texas in the late 'Thirties and 'Forties, I
used to hear people speaking the local BE say "I ain't got _[nae@
n^dn]_" (presumably _nary another one_), etc., with the meaning, "I
don't have any more," etc. Apparently, this bit of phonetics and
syntax still lives, far outside of Texas. Tonight, in a
neo-blaxploitation movie in which the characters are supposedly from
South Central Los Angeles, a character says, "Man, yew ain't gon'
gitchew _[nae@ n^d@]_ who'."

-Wilson
-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens