"nayger" [WAS: Re: Rastus (was: "Jazz Means Happy and Loose Like" (1917))]

Dennis Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sun Dec 9 18:41:51 UTC 2007

I thought maybe that was the case, but I'm still puzzled by
levelling, especially levelling from "both."

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>Subject:      Re: "nayger" [WAS: Re: Rastus (was: "Jazz Means Happy and Loose
>               Like"               (1917))]
>
>"Niger" was apparently pronounced / i / until, perhaps, it became an
>archaic form learned from print.
>
>   JL
>
>"Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU> wrote:
>   ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>-----------------------
>Sender: American Dialect Society
>Poster: "Dennis R. Preston"
>
>Subject: Re: "nayger" [WAS: Re: Rastus (was: "Jazz Means Happy and Loose
>Like" (1917))]
>
>JL,
>
>I don't understand the concept of levelling here. If "Niger" was
>pronounced /ay/ (LIGHT) (forget the quality of the 'g') and "Neger"
>was pronounced /ey/ (FACE) or /e/ (BET), what is the levelling
>process that yields /I/ (HIT)?
>
>dInIs

>>-----------------------
>>Sender: American Dialect Society
>>Poster: Jonathan Lighter
>>Subject: "nayger" [WAS: Re: Rastus (was: "Jazz Means Happy and
>>Loose Like"
>>  (1917))]
>>
>>"Nayger" is a dial. remnant of 16th C. "Neger."
>>
>>  I once did a good deal of research on these forms. Some of the
>>results are in HDAS. Some further upshots:
>>
>>  1. "Nigger" is not a variant pronunciation (or
>>"mispronunciation") of "Negro."
>>
>>  2. a. "Niger" (one "g") was until the early to mid 18th C. a
>>mostly neutral term.
>>  b. "Nigger" results from a leveling of both "Neger" and "Niger."
>>
>>  3. Runaway slave notices, slave auction ads, etc., which would not
>>seem to require euphemisms, uniformly employ "Negro," as though
>>"nigger" were inappropriate for polite use..
>>
>>  4. The earliest printed exx. of "nigger" as a term of
>>white-against-black abuse are from the early 19th C.
>>
>>  JL
>>
>>Wilson Gray wrote:
>>-----------------------
>>Sender: American Dialect Society
>>Poster: Wilson Gray
>>Subject: Re: Rastus (was: "Jazz Means Happy and Loose Like" (1917))
>>
>>Makes sense to me, Mark, although I'd call it more "unpopular than
>>"pejorative," mainly because it's been rare in my experience - I've
>>seen it in print; I *may* have heard it very rarely when I was a
>>child, but it wouldn't have had any special meaning. Besides, to the
>>extent that I remember it at all, it was used about as often for
>>cartoon, po'-white, hillbilly types as for blacks in literature of the
>>day. I've known "nigger," well, "nigguh," since I was four or five
>>years old, when it packed less than the emotional weight of, perhaps,
>>"dumbbell." Being called "nigger" by another nigger wouldn't send
>>anybody home crying, but being called "dumbbell" by someone else who
> [...]

Morrill Hall 15-C
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48864 USA