"nayger" [WAS: Re: Rastus (was: "Jazz Means Happy and Loose Like" (1917))]

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 10 02:56:50 UTC 2007

I've heard that lie before. (Not that I intend to claim that you're in
any sense a liar. It's just that BE is way less trivially polite than
sE. The phrase means only that I'm familiar with that claim and, like
you, am neutral as to its merit.) In a kind of mirror-image reaction,
a friend of mine from Minneapolis (yes, fellow Southrons, I know that,
WRT public participation, the largest lynching in history occurred in
Minnesota), unfamiliar with "nigra" [nIgr@] until after he had seen it
in print, pronounced it [naigr@].

-Wilson

On Dec 9, 2007 1:02 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "nayger" [WAS: Re: Rastus (was: "Jazz Means Happy and Loose
>               Like"               (1917))]
>
> "Niger" was apparently pronounced / i / until, perhaps, it became an archaic form learned from print.
>
>   JL
>
> "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU> wrote:

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens