Slave names

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 11 16:16:09 UTC 2007

Way back when, there was a well-known novel entitled, "The View from
Pompey's Head." Pompey's Head was the name of the town that gave the
novel its name and Pompey was the slave after whom the town was named.
I've never read the novel or seen the movie, so I have no idea how
this name, Pompey's Head, came about. Black Jack, MO, a suburb of
Saint Louis, is a town that supposedly really is named after an actual
slave.

-Wilson

On Dec 10, 2007 5:19 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Slave names
>
> I wonder about the source of our stereotype that slaves were so stereotypically named "Caesar" and "Pompey."  Surely it comes from fiction?
>
>   There's a minstrel song involving "Pompey Squash." Can't think of any other "Pompeys." Haven't checked _Gone with the Wind_.
>
>   JL
>
> "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET> wrote:

-----
                                              -Sam'l Clemens